I visited Khwa ttu a couple of weeks ago for a WTM Africa Media Tour with West Coast Way and Red Lip PR to celebrate the upcoming opening of their San Heritage Centre and wrote about it here. I returned there with my kids and some friends to stay over at their bush house and to enjoy the final Sundowners Evening of the season.
During the Spring/Summer season, Khwa ttu hosts a monthly Sundowners Evening that is incredibly popular with the locals. They drive you up to the top of the hill with their tractor and once you get up there you are treated to drinks, snacks and the most incredible West Coast Sunset. Just sit there in silence while you watch the sunset over Yzerfontein and the Atlantic Ocean.
The Bush House is kitted out with all you need, it is self-catering and has two bedrooms a kitchen, a bathroom and outside showers – they even have wifi for those hardcore Social Media users, like me, who need to check in our post an Instagram story. You have not lived until you have showered outdoors, enjoying the bush and watching an ostrich walk by as you soap yourself up. There is also an awesome braai area outside where we had the most epic braai on Saturday evening.
My kids really enjoyed being outside and discovering nature. Khwa ttu is an incredible place to switch off, relax and unwind after a long work week.
Activities on offer at Khwa ttu
- A Restaurant which is open for breakfast and lunch
- Accommodation consisting of a Bush House, Bush Camp and Guest House
- San Guided Tours where you can enjoy fascinating insights into the culture, heritage, knowledge, skills and contemporary life of the San.
- Cycling at Khwa ttu: the mountain bike trails on the Cape West Coast offers variety, fun, relaxation and spectacular views, at a great family venue perfect for weekend getaways.
- Khwa ttu’s walking trails are a lovely way to view game, explore the unique plants of the area
- Gallery and shop offering art, crafts, photography, books and innovative merchandise related to the San. They make for unique gifts and your purchase will support San artists from all over Southern Africa.
- Khwa ttu run a wonderful Kids Fun Program every school holiday. Follow them on Facebook to keep up to date with their events.
Khwa ttu is located on the R27 on the West Coast Way‘s Culture Route.
© 2018 Dominique in the City – All Rights Reserved
Please do not use my content without my consent. You can contact me here.